Skip to main content   Decrease text size  Increase text size

District Administration
  DC'S Role
  List of D.C.s
  Administrative Setup
  Elections


About District
  District at Glance
  Places to Visit


Recent Activities
 1. Punjab Skill Dev Mission
   ->Punjab Skill Dev Centres
   ->Success Stories
   ->DC's visit
 2. Skill Centres under BADP
 3. CSC in District
 4. PMGDISHA(Pradhan Mantri      Digital Sakshtra Abhiyan)
 5. Stitching Cetres Success      story
 6. Success story of Agriculture Department


Online Services
  Passport Query




Other Links
  Education Institutes
  District Survey Report Sand Mining Tarn Taran


Images
  image
  image

Tourist Places
Shri Darbar Sahib, Tarn Taran
Madan Mohan Mandir, Tarn Taran
St. Thomas Church, Tarn Taran
Gurudwara Lakeer Sahib
Gurudwara Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji
Baba Bidhi chand Ji
Gurudwara Khadoor Sahib
Nishan-E-Sikhi, Khadoor Sahib
Gurudwara Shri Baoli Sahib,Goindwal Sahib
Gurudwara Chola Sahib
Gurudwara Bir Baba Buddha Ji
Gurdwara Thara Sahib
Gurudwara Shri Jhulane Mahal Sahib
Gurudwara Baba Garja Singh Baba Bota Singh
Gurdwara Sri Nanaksar Harike Pattan
Harike Pattan Wetland and Bird Sanctuary
Gurdwara Sahib Bhagat Jallan ji, Naushehra Dhala
Mazaar of Baba Sheikh Braham
Sarai Amanat Khan, Tarn Taran
Patti
Patti Killa
Battle of Sabraon
Battle of Asal Uttar
Jati Umra
Kos Minar
Shivala Mandir, (Kassel)
Jain Temple
District Rural Development Bhawan
Sri Guru Arjun Dev Sports Stadium
Guru Nanak Dev Super-Specility Hospital


Sri Darbar Sahib Skip to main content
image

The main religious hub at Tarn Taran Sahib is Sri Darbar Sahib Tarn Taran, built by Sri Guru Arjan Dev JI. It has the distinction of having the largest Sarovar(water pond) of all the Gurudwaras. It is the only Gurudwara which is the replica of Shri Harminder Sahib, Amritsar. Also it is famous for the monthly gathering of pilgrims on the day of amavasya(no moon light).



Madan Mohan Mandir                                                                                           Skip to main content

There is very old Mandir known as Madan Mohan Mandir (Takhur Dwara) in the heart of the city.

There is one old and famous Mandir known as Mata Chintpurni Mandir situated in Tehsil Bazar. It is believed that Idol of Mata Chintpurni was appeared from the ruins at own

Mahakaleshwar  Temple


St. Thomas Church Skip to main content
ENTRANCE TO THE BAOLI  (BARATH SAHIB)

This ancient church was built in 1836 under the supervision of Bishop of Lahore diocese. It is situated in the middle of Tarn Taran, near PWD rest house.



Gurudwara Lakeer Sahib Skip to main content

Gurudwara Lakeer Sahib is a very famous and ancient Gurudwara built in the year 1978. It is believed that, during 1757, Baba Deep Singh Ji made a line with his sword and asked followers to cross the line if they are willing to fight with Jahan Khan at Amritsar Gurudwara Lakeer Sahib is situated at the place where a line on the ground was marked by Baba Deep Singh Ji before entering into war against the Mughal Empire in 1757.When Baba Deep Singh Ji came to know about this desecration (via a Sikh from Amritsar who had come to see Baba Ji) he decided that restoring the sanctity of the Guru’s Darbar was paramount and he did Ardas (prayer) with the deepest of conviction that he would sacrifice his head at Harimander Sahib after having successfully liberated the shrine from the enemy. Although seventy-five years old, he still had the strength of a young warrior. He gathered a large group of Sikhs and advanced towards Sri Harimander Sahib. By the time they reached the village of Tarn Taran, about ten miles from Amritsar, their numbers had risen to about five thousand. At this time, Baba Ji drew a line on the ground with his Khanda, and asked only those who were willing to fight and die to cross the line.

Lakeer Sahib


Gurdwara Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib ji Skip to main content

This Gurdwara is situated at a distance of 25 Km from Patti City and 33 Km from Amritsar City in Village Sur Singh, District Taran Taran, Punjab. Gurudwara Sri Guru HarGobind Sahib ji, SurSingh, is situated in Village SurSingh, tehsil Patti district Tarn Taran Sahib. Bhai bhagmal of this Village requested Sri Guru HarGobind Sahib ji to visit his place. Upon his request Guru Sahib came here. Bhai Bhagmal ji offered his newly built house (Mahal) and 1000 bigha jameen to Guru Sahib and requested to stay there and make use this place to spread message of sikhism. Guru Sahib accepted the offering but said he (Guru Sahib) cannot stay at one place as he has to do lot of things in his life but we promise that one day there will Sikh kendar. Later Guru Sahib gave this property to Baba Lal Chand ji son of Bhai Bidhi Chand ji and asked him to stay there, take care of every thing and set up sikhism preaching kendar there(as Guru Sahib had promised to Bhai Bhagmal ji). From that day onwards Baba Lal Chand ji started living here. Now Baba Daya Singh ji, from family of Bhai Bidhi Chand ji is staying overe here in this Village and spreading the message of sikhism.



Baba Bidhi Chand Skip to main content
ENTRANCE TO THE BAOLI  (BARATH SAHIB)

Baba Bidhi Chand was a warrior as well as religious preacher of the time of Guru Hargobind, was a Chhina Jatt of the village of Sursingh, 34 km south of Amritsar. His father's name was Vassan and his grandfather's Bhikkhi. His mother was from Sirhah, another village in the same district. As a young man Bidhi Chand had fallen into bad company and taken to banditry. One day, a pious Sikh, Bhai Adah of the village of Chohla, led him into Guru Arjan's presence. Bidhi Chand wished no longer to return home and decided to dedicate the rest of his life to the service of the service of Guru



Khadoor Sahib Skip to main content

Khadoor Sahib (Distt. Amritsar,Punjab) is symbolically attached with the name of Guru Angad Dev Ji. This place got sanctified by the visit of eight Sikh Masters (Sikh Gurus). This town is quite easy to approach - being only 38 kms from Amritsar, 22 kms from Jandiala Guru, 20 Kms from Tarn Taran, 22 kms from Rayya and 9 kms from Goindwal Sahib. The second Master spent 13 years of his Guruship at Khadoor Sahib, spreading the universal message of Guru Nanak Sahib.

Summer  Resort  of Maharaja  Ranjit  Singh ji


Nishan-E-Sikkhi Skip to main content
Pandori  Dham  Temple

Spread over four acres of land, the eight-storey tower will facilitate a bouquet of religious education, spiritual awareness, cultural understanding, historic information, vocational knowledge, national cohesion and entertainment options. The idea behind Nishan-e-Sikhi was to provide attractive avenues to students, teachers, preachers, professionals, sportspersons and general public in the wake of falling standard of education and decline in values of life in society. “The projects scheduled for the Nishan-e-Sikhi tower have been planned very carefully and are expected to facilitate resources for educationists, learners and professionals to help plan for the future of education in enhancing job orientation and life values.” According to him, the tower, with 80,000 square feet floor area, will have an auditorium, administrative block, conference hall, religious academy, coaching classes for plus one and plus two students, and a library. “The coaching facility for competitive exams like the IAS, the IPS and the NDA are also under consideration,” Incidentally, this is not the only innovative project of Baba Sewa Singh. Earlier, he had been instrumental in setting up a multi-media Sikh museum, the first of its kind in the world, adjacent to Gurdwara Angitha Sahib here.



Shri Baoli Sahib Skip to main content

The town of Goindwal holds an immense significance in reference to the Sikh religious pilgrimage sites. The town lies south east of Amritsar and only thirty Kilometers away from the city. The Goindwal town boasts of some of the important Gurudwaras and among them the Gurudwara Shri Baoli Sahib is one of the greatest. The Goindwal Sahib Gurudwara in Punjab is the pride of the state and it is a major pilgrimage and tourists attraction. Guru Sri Amar Das constructed a Baoli or a well with eighty four steps. It is said someone who takes a bath in the well and recites the Japji Sahib, attains Moksh. The Gurudwra Baoli Sahib is believed to be the first center of Sikhism. The entrance of place is well decorated with murals describing significant scenes of the Sikh history. The massive langar or the community kitchen provides food to the large number of visitors every day. According to the historians, Emperor Akbar once visited the Guru and took lunch in the Langar. The combine view of the Baoli, the temple and the entire surrounding creates an exceptional ambiance.

Another view of Shri  Darbar  Sahib  Gurudwara


Chola Sahib Skip to main content
Gurudwara  Chola  Sahib

GURDWARA CHOHLA SAHIB, Chohla, a village 4.5 km southeast of Sirhali Kalari (31° 16'N, 74° 56'E) in Tarn Taran district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Arjan Dev ji. (1563 - 1606). The western edge of the village marks the spot where Guru Arjan Dev ji sat and preached. The building comprises a marble floored hall in front of the three storeyed sanctum where Guru Granth Sahib is seated on a canopied seat of white marble. Two Nishan Sahibs, holy flags, fly, one at each corner, in front of the hall. A small Sarovar has been added in recent decades. An old well nearby is believed to have existed since the time of Guru Arjan Dev’s visit.



Baba Budha Sahib ji Skip to main content

Baba Budha ji ,a venerated figure in Sikhism, whose original name was Bura, was conferred this title of “Bahi Budha” by Guru Nanak Dev ji, because he possessed the wisdom of an old man in his childhood. Bhai Budha becomes a devoted disciple of Guru Nanak. He served the Gurus with complete dedication for all his life and set an example of holy living. He became the first high priest of sacred shrine , Golden Temple.

Achal  Sahib


Gurdwara Thara Sahib Skip to main content

Gurdwara Thara Sahib This Gurdwara is situated at a distance of 19 Km from Taran Taran City and 43 Km Southeast of Amritsar City in town Khadoor Sahib. The Third Sikh Guru, Shri Guru Amar Das Ji came to Khadoor Sahib in 1541. He served Second Sikh Guru, Shri Guru Angad Dev Ji with dedication for 12 long Years. He used to bring water from River Beas, which was around 9 Km away, on foot for Guru Angad Dev Ji to have bath. After performing his duties, Guru Amar Das Ji used to sit here for Naam Simran (Recitation of the name of God). He also received Tilak from the blessed hands of Baba Buddha Ji upon his appointment as Guru at this place.



GURUDWARA SHRI JHULANE MAHAL SAHIB Skip to main content

GURUDWARA SHRI JHULANE MAHAL SAHIB is situated in the Village Thathi Khara, Distt Taran Taaran. SHRI GURU ARJAN DEV JI was monitoring the excavation of Holy Tank at Taran Taaran. And at Night time GURU SAHIB used to come here for rest. GURU SAHIB used to hold daily preaching over here. Once relegiuos diwan was going on. People were listening to GURU SAHIB. On the back side there was Army going on, In which there were Elephants, Horse's and Soldiers. People were looking on the Back side. When GURU SAHIB asked what were they looking at, Poeple said we were looking on swinging elephants, GURU SAHIB told them that this was live animals, but your Mahals will swing for lives. Now there's wall, When we try to move it, it swings in actuall.

Gurudwara Sri Kandh Sahib


Gurudwara Baba Garja Singh Baba Bota Singh Skip to main content

Gurudwara Baba Garja Singh Baba Bota Singh This Gurdwara is situated at a distance of 6 Km from Taran Taran City near Sarai Nurdin. In the Year 1739, When Nadir Shah, the Emperor of Afghanistan, was on his way back to Persia after plundering many Cities of India; the Sikhs attacked his forces and freed much of the stolen goods and young women. Nadir Shah appointed Zakhrya Khan as Governor of Lahore and told him that the Sikhs would become rulers of this Country. Zakhrya Khan decided to destroy Sikhs from the face of the earth and announced a reward of Rupees 10 to anyone giving information leading to the arrest of a Sikh and Rupees 50 to anyone bringing the head of a Sikh. One Massa Ranghar presented cartloads of heads of Sikhs to Zakhrya Khan and was appointed the Chief of Amritsar as a reward. Massa Ranghar took charge of the Golden Temple and banned Sikhs from visiting it. Soon Sikhs left most of the Cities and retired to forests for their safety. Then Governor Zakhrya Khan announced that he has succeeded in finishing the Sikhs. Bhai Bota Singh and Bhai Garja Singh decided to challenge the Governor and started to charge Toll Tax (one Anna equivalent to 6.25 Paise Per Cart and One Paisa Per Donkey load) from travellers using Grand Trunk Road near Sarai Nurdin. Since no one complained to Mughals, Bhai Bota Singh himself wrote to Governor that Sikhs are alive and are charging tax from travellers. Zakhrya Khan immediately sent 100 horsemen to arrest them. Bhai Bota Singh and Bhai Garja Singh did not surrender and started fighting and finally won martyrdom. This Gurdwara is situated at the place where both of them won martyrdom.



Harike Skip to main content

Harike (or Hari ke Pattan), noted for being the village in Tarn Taran District in Punjab, Northern India where Guru Angad Dev Ji the second Sikh Guru was born (March 31, 1504) is about 40 km from Moga by road; the nearest railhead is Amritsar (60 km)). Sri Hari Ke Pattan Gurdwara Nanaksar (video at YouTube [1]) with its beautiful colorful gardens is located on the banks of the wetland at Harike Lake.

Dhianpur  Shrine


Harike Bird Sanctuary Skip to main content
Shrine of  Dhianpur  Sri Baba  Lal  Dyal  Ji

The resulting Harike Wetland, including Harike Lake in its deeper part, is the largest wetland in northern India in the Amritsar district of Punjab state, in India. The wetland has long been considered to be one of India’s six ‘lungs’, when new the wetland covered more than 41 sq. km. For 30 long years it remained, thankfully, undisturbed. Over the years it grew into a blissful 'summerhouse' for migratory birds from far-off places such as Siberia and Eastern Europe. Besides the birds, Harike became the home for rare Indian species like the test dine turtle and the smooth otter. Both are listed in the International Union for Conservation of Nature red list of threatened animals. The wetland was known for its large population of avifauna like the diving ducks, scup ducks, falcate teals and the white-headed stiff-tailed ducks. Those undisturbed 30 years allowed Harike to emerge as an ideal habitat for waterfowl.



Gurdwara Sahib Bhagat Jallan ji Skip to main content

Gurdwara Sahib Bhagat Jallan ji, Naushehra Dhala.

Mosque Aqsa


Baba Sheikh Braham Skip to main content
Mosque Aqsa

Khem Karan is a tiny border town that saw fierce action during the 1965 Indo-Pak war. A couple of hours drive from Amritsar, Khem Karan tehsil today is better known for the Mazaar of Baba Sheikh Braham. A Sufi saint revered by people on both sides of the border, the mazaar is the only place in India where Pakistani citizens are allowed to make an unofficial visit without a visa. Such is the faith in the saint that this is a zone of piece. A place where soldiers from both sides periodically lay down their arm to come and pray! A big fair is organized towards the end of the monsoon when people at large from both sides of the border come to pay their respects at the mazaar. It is believed that a wish made here is always fulfilled.



Sarai Amanat Khan Skip to main content

Punjab, the land of five rivers, has many places which has historical, religious, significance. Sarai Amanat Khan is key tourist place of Punjab. It is located in Tarn Taran District. Nearly 46 km on the Tarn Taran Attari road. It was built during the Mughal period to provide shelter to the tourists for travelers. It is wonderful piece of Mughal Architecture.It consists of many rooms and a water tank. The gate has been built in Mughal style. During Mughal rule, the people going from Atari to Goindwal Sahib used to take rest here. A tomb of Amanat Khan is located inside the Sarai , which is surrounded by four minarets on all four sides. A Mosque nearby is decorated with beautiful verses in Persian.It has been announced as “monument of national importance” under the Ancient monuments and Archaeological sites and Remains Act 1958.

Sri Namdev  Durbar  at Ghoman


Patti Skip to main content
Jhulna  Mahal

Patti in Punjabi means a street. After bifurcation of Amritsar revenue district it becomes part of the newly created Tarn Taran district. Patti has been a power centre and by some estimates it has been so for as long as 1000 years. Patti is also referenced as the city of peers: Seven Faqeer sisters. The town is situated on a mound which adds to its altitude. To the south-east of the town is a smaller but higher mound which projects a Shiv Temple. It is located 45 km from Amritsar. Patti is the town of Mai Bhago’s hunsband who fought in support of Guru Gobind Singh Ji against the Mughal in the war of Muktar.



Patti Killa Skip to main content

During the period of Sikh Missal, Khushal Singh, the nephew of Sardar Kapoor Singh (the founder of the Faizalpuria or Singh Puria Missal) conquered this town from the Pathans in 1755-56 AD. During the time of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, a huge Army under the command of Diwan Mohkam Chand, attacked the Faizalpura or Singhpuria Missal and annexed the town of Patti into the Maharaja’s Empire in 1811 AD. The rumours suggest that Maharaja Ranjit Singh considered the town a potential threat and it is for this reason that he got the outer wall demolished. The historical fort of Patti built in 1755 A.D., which houses the present Patti Police Station, bears testimony to the historical development.

Gurdas  Nangal


Battle of Sobraon Skip to main content

The historic Battle of Sobraon ,fought at Sabraon, a village in Tarn Taran ,on the 10th of February in the year 1846, decided the fate of the Anglo- Sikh war which had begun in the year 1845. The important Battle of Sobraon was valiantly fought between the army of Punjab, popularly known as the Khalsa army and the British army that comprised of English and Indian soldiers . The English force marched forward and met the fully prepared Khalsa army in Punjab. The fight took place on the banks of River Sutlej. To defend the attack of the British troops, the Sikh soldiers had built a ditch and a mound. Firing from both the sides continued in between the gaps and spaces. After consultation with all the soldiers, the Englishmen decided to attack the Sikh regiment from the west which was believed to be weakest positions of the Khalsa army men.



Battle of Asal Uttar Skip to main content
Gurudwara Ghallughara Sahib

The battle of Asal Uttar reminds one of the bravery of Indian soldier Company Quarter Master Abdul Hamid of 4th Battalion of Grenadiers Regiment. Honoured with the highest Indian gallantry award, Param Vir Chakra, Abdul had knocked out seven enemy tanks with a recoilless gun. Though under intense artillery shelling and tank fire, Abdul Hamid moved from one firing position to another and pulverised three Patton tanks of the enemy. However, while engaging the fourth tank, he was fatally wounded by an enemy shell. Abdul Hamid’s courage, disregard for personal safety and act of bravery in the face of the enemy was a shining example of the valour and high traditions of the Indian Army



Jati Umra Skip to main content

Jati Umra It is a small village in Tarn Taran. It is the ancestral village of former Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif



Kos Minars Skip to main content

The Kos Minars or Mile Pillars are medieval milestones that were made by the Afghan Ruler Sher Shah Suri and later on by Mughal emperors. These Minars were erected by the Mughal Emperors on the main highways across the empire to mark the distance. Kos is an ancient Indian unit of distance. It can represent either a distance of approximately 1.8 km (1.12 mile) or 3.2 km (2 mile). Minar is a Persian word for tower. Over the years these road monuments have gone into a state of disrepair and are almost lost in obscurity. Along India's old highways, particularly the Grand Trunk Road, one still finds Kos Minar. According to a report of the Archeology Survey of India, There are some kos minars in Tarn Taran District, they are found in village Bharowal, Naurangabad, Sanghe, Noordin, Gandiwind, Sarai-Amanat Khan, Rajatal.

Mukeshwar Temple at Shahpur Kandi


Shivala Mandir Skip to main content
Arjun’s Chulha and Sehdev’s Cave at Shahpur Kandi

Shivala Mandir, (Kassel) Village Kassel is 20 Km away from Tarn Taran. The said Mandir was believed to be established by Mata Kaushlya M/o Lord Rama. Mata Kaushlya started living there and this village at that time was known as Kaushalpur. By the passage of time, it came to be known as Kassel and very old Shiv Mandir (Shivala) is existing in the village. There is a well in the said Shivala. Maharaja Ranjit Singh who has some stomach trouble while returning to Lahore was resting near Kassel and drunk water of said well and was cured and later on for many years water of said well was daily taken to Lahore for consumption of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. In token of his respect to the Shivala, he gave Jagir to Mandir of 5 acre of land. Every year, on occasion of Shivratri big fair is held in the village and large number of devotees visit and hold prayers in the shivala.



Jain Temple Skip to main content

On Chabbal Cherrhata road ahead of Gurdwara Baba Buda Sahib, there is a big Jain Temple in the village Mainpur dedicated to Baba Baira Ji. Smadh of Baba Baira Ji is situated in very big hall. A big fiar is held every year, where lacs of Jain Samaj from all over India visit there



District Rural Development Skip to main content

This building houses offices of Chairman Zila Parishad, Additional Deputy Commissioner Development, District Development and Panchayat Officer, Secretary Zila Parishad, Executive Engineer (Panchayti Raj), Block development and Panchayat officer, Sub-divisional officer (Panchayti Raj).

Mukeshwar Temple at Shahpur Kandi


Sports Stadium Skip to main content
Mukeshwar Temple at Shahpur Kandi

Sri Guru Arjun Dev Sports Stadium, Near Police Line, Tarn Taran.



Guru Nank Dev Hospital Skip to main content

This Hospital is situated at Goindwal Sahib road, Near Dera Kar Sewa Baba Jiwan Singh Ji, Tarn Taran City. The Hospital is under construction and is at the verge of its completion and due to go Live for Public at the end of this year (2012). This Hospital is estimated at nearly 333-350 beds, with one of the largest Emergency (trauma) ward in the area with a dedicated Minor Operation Theatre. All the Ambulances of the Hospital are fully fabricated and equipped with USA made Ventilators and other modern facilities. The Outdoor Patients Department of the Hospital shall have 12 Consultants (Doctors) from various branches of Medicine. Hospital shall have its own fully automatic Radiology equipped with Digital Radilology machines viz. X-ray, Colour Doppler, Mammography, CT Scan (64 slice), MRI (1.5 Tesla) etc (all SIEMENS-GERMANY). The Diagnostic department (pathology) of the Hospital shall be fully equipped with fully Automatic Biochemistry, Haematology, Microbiology, Histopathology Laboratories (all SIEMENS -USAMachines). All the Medical Equipments shall be interfaced with Software/Server for the purposes of Tele-medicine and other convenience. The Hospital has Seven Operation Theatres besides Minor OT among which Four (4) are Modular operation theatres fully Modern equipped. The Hospital has three Intensive Care Units-surgical, Medical and Neo-natal equipped with best Ventilators (MAQUET-SWEDEN) and other life saving equipments of the world. The Hospital shall have its own Kitchen for patients for balanced diet, its own Laundry, Oxygen Plant etc. The Hospital is Centrally Air Conditioned with 600 tonn plant, available to every room and ward. The Hospital shall run on ERP (Hospital information system)-Entrepreneur Resource Planner. The Hospital shall run under the Registered Trust-BABA JIWAN SINGH BABA DALIP SINGH EDUCATIONAL TRUST (REGD.). The said Trust is exempted under 80-G of Income Tax Act and is also registered with Union Ministry of Home Affairs under provisions of Foreign Contribution Regulation Act, 1976.

Mukeshwar Temple at Shahpur Kandi
Skip to main content
 
image
Site Designed & Developed By: NIC Tarn Taran
Contents Provided By: District Administration Tarn Taran